Fieldwork – KS3, GCSE
The outdoor environment gives a real life context to the studies students undertake in the classroom, enabling experiential learning to complement classroom-based teaching. In addition to this, it provides an exciting stimulus which also enhances student’s learning and provides a positive contribution towards the overall grade that they attain in the subject.
Braeside tailors courses to suit the needs of the subject of your choice. Our staff team includes qualified teachers of science and geography as well as outdoor activities. Fieldwork courses that can be delivered are KS3 and GCSE Science and Geography. In addition we can tailor courses/sessions to suit specific areas of the syllabus that you are delivering at school. Furthermore we are able to offer activities based courses that complement aspects of the GCSE, AS and A2 Physical Education curricula.
Geography, History and Biology
Located in the heart of rural Wiltshire, surrounded by a diverse and varied landscape, and close to urban centres, Braeside is ideally situated to undertake field studies in both Geography, History/Ancient History and Biology. The experience and local knowledge of the Braeside staff can give groups the opportunity to study many aspects of these environments. For example, we can focus upon:
- Contrasting locality comparisons with urban and/or rural settings
- River studies – upper, middle and lower course
- Industrial change and location and their impacts
- Tourism and its impacts
- Data collection for controlled assessments
- Geographical techniques (sampling, collection, analysis and presentation)
- Ancient history and monuments, including Stonehenge, Avebury stone circle, white horses and long barrows.
- English Civil war battlefield sites
- Battle of Ethandune
- Industrial history, including the Kennet and Avon Canal, Swindon and the GWR rail network.
- Freshwater ecology
- Chalkland ecology
- Woodland ecology
- Wildlife in towns
- Useful plants
- Woodland conservation and greenwood skills.
Course format, structure and costs
Many of these study days can be combined with adventurous activities to enhance the enjoyment of and learning about our local landscape.
This is designed in consultation with schools so that we can cater for their requirements. Therefore, costs are based on the programme which can often be tailored to suit budget. Please contact us for further details and/or programmes.